Location of Jerzmanowa
Coordinates: 51°36′0″N 16°03′0″E / 51.60000°N 16.05000°E / 51.60000; 16.05000Coordinates: 51°36′0″N 16°03′0″E / 51.60000°N 16.05000°E / 51.60000; 16.05000
Jerzmanowa [jɛʐmaˈnɔva] is a village in Głogów County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in south-western Poland. It is the seat of the administrative district (gmina) called Gmina Jerzmanowa. Before 1945, the village was part of Germany and known as Hermsdorf.
After World War II the region was placed under Polish administration by the Potsdam Agreement under territorial changes demanded by the Soviet Union. Most Germans fled or were expelled and were replaced with Poles expelled from the Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union.
The village has an approximate population of 600. It lies approximately 7 km (4 mi) south of Głogów, and 87 km (54 mi) north-west of the regional capital Wrocław.
The municipality consists of 12 villages. (German names up until 1945)
Jaczów (Jätschau, 1937–1945: Friedenshagen)
Kurów Mały (Klein Kauer)
Kurowice (Gusteutschel, 1937–1945: Hahnenfeld)
Łagoszów Mały (Klein Logisch)
Potoczek (Töppendorf (Forst))
Smardzów (Schmarsau, 1936–1945: Vogtshagen)
Charles Gotthold Reichel (1751-1825), bishop
Hermann Schwarz (1843–1921), German mathematician
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). “article name needed”. Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
In his 1800 tour of Silesia, future President John Quincy Adams refers to the Silesian village of Hermsdorf in Letters on Silesia (letter VII, 1 August 1800). He notes that the village is at the foot of the Kynast, “one of the most celebrated Silesian hills.” At the top of the Kynast, was the ruins of an old castle supposedly built in 1292 by the ancestor of Count Schafgotsch, and abandoned in 1670 due to a fire from a lightning strike. There was also a log book at the time kept of those who climbed the hill and wished to sign it for posterity.